Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Introducing Ryan & Julie

Up from the UnderStory is a collaboration between UC Davis and the communities in the Blue Mountain area. As part of this partnership, a handful of UCD scholars have joined the project to learn more about Blue Mountain, support the community during the project, and share their own thoughts and experiences with community revitalization. Here are two of the scholars who have joined us: Ryan Galt and Julie Sze. Feel free to leave them thoughts or comments!




My name is Ryan Galt. I’m an assistant professor of community development and geography. My main teaching and research interests involve rural areas. I’m especially fascinated in agricultural systems and the environmental and social effects on them, and on food systems. I also like to investigate the economic links between different places and mapping. I received my first degree from Modesto Junior College, before transferring to UC Berkeley. Then I went to graduate school at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

In my free time, I like to bike, run, hike, garden, read, play board games like Carcassonne and Settlers of Catan, and bake and cook with my wife. And I also enjoy photography and photo book publishing.

Every year I look forward to going on a hike in California with my family and friends. Some recent trips include Mount Whitney, White Mountain Peak, and the Lost Coast.
If you would like to some pictures from my hiking trips check out my web page:
http://web.mac.com/r_galt/Ryan_Galts_Site/Welcome.html

I’m excited to be involved in the Up From the UnderStory project, because it connects with my teaching and research interests. I’m very interested in finding ways and making the University of California more reachable to students from the Sierra and Central Valley area. Also, I’m very interested in how citizen production of media can tell stories about places.





My name is Julie Sze. I'm an Assistant professor of American Studies. My
main teaching and research interests involve culture and the environment,
and environmental activism. I wrote a book called Noxious New York that
looks at activism in New York City around health and environmental issues. I
teach classes on topics like consumption and Nature and Culture. I'm really
interested in how people and communities respond to environmental and social change. I was an English major at UC Berkeley, and went to graduate school at New York University.


I grew up in Chinatown in New York City and my parents are Chinese immigrants. I was the second person in my family to go to college (after my older sister) .In my free time, I like to read, watch T.V., garden and travel. I have two children, a girl named Sofia (4 and a half) and Leo (14 months). We just started a vegetable and herb garden. Growing up in New York City, I never gardened or knew very much about trees.

I'm excited to be involved in the Up From the UnderStory project, because it connects with my teaching and research interests. I'm very excited about meeting you and learning more about you and your community. I hope that you can come to talk to my class about your work.

4 comments:

danigirl said...

woo! new people!
sounds like tons of fun!

Anonymous said...

Ryan & Julie

I'm pleased to meet you both. Ryan have you looked into MiWuk agriculture and forestry before the gold rush? One hike you might be interested in is up to Salt Springs (Blue Hole)there are some very interesting artifacts after you get past the lake. The drive up there can be educational as well.

Julie, did you know there is a great deal of clear cut logging in the West Point area? It's kept pretty quiet. The land east of WP is, in large part, owned by Sierra Pacific and access is over privet roads which have many gates. When ever there is conversation about bringing change to our area SPI and clear cut logging is the elephant in the room. I took a couple of the photographers to an out look in order to see some of it. I'm sure you have scene satellite images of this criminal act.

Alan

Unknown said...

Alan,

Thanks for the note. Nice to meet you as well!

I am not very familiar with MiWuk agriculture and forestry, but would love to learn more. I'm looking forward to this summer when I can start my research on aspects of California agriculture, including historical and current developments in the foothills and Central Valley.

Thanks also for the recommendation on the hike. I look forward to taking a look around the area when I visit.

Ryan

Anonymous said...

Ryan

Big time is in the fall sort of coinciding with acorn harvesting. Around here there are two on separate weekends, one in WP the other at Indian Grinding Rock State Park near Volcano. I think it lasts for three days with a fire and dancing the whole time in the round house. Dancers come from all over and it is a very powerful celebration. I'm sorry I don't know the exact date. Attendance is in the hundreds.

Alan