Sunday, September 21, 2008

Getting Started with Blogging

Hi,

I'm Linda Toren a member of the West Point community for the past 30 years. I've been a teacher at the elementary school for the last 23 years and have just retired.

Until now, my work within the community has been primarily through the school. I love being around kids - teaching and learning - so I've started a Writer's Club at the Blue Mountain Coalition for Youth. Elementary kids have met in August and September and will meet again in December. We will work hard after the New Year on writing and art projects. Our goal is to produce a literary journal by June 2009. We alreadt have some finished stories and art to go with them. Look for them on the BMCFY website soon. I would be happy to work with teens and young adults who would like to try their hand at writing. The club is flexible and can set a time that works for them.

I have also worked with Miwok youth for the past twenty years. We will be meeting at the Youth Center starting January 2009 to work on two main projects - 1. art related to native themes and 2. revision of our earlier work with a language dictionary.

I would love to get a Book Club started for teens and young adults. This would be a chance to read and discuss literature and issues of importance. Let me know if there is anyone interested in joining or getting involved.

This is my first time blogging and I'm looking forward to the conversations.


Linda Toren

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Linda,

Great to see another voice in here. With a little luck some others not directly involved will start to read. Maybe you could tell some of the folks in the writers group about the blog and they could make some comments. Wouldn't it be fun to see some MiWok language on this blog or in the BMCY&F web sight.

Alan

jesikah maria ross said...

Linda I'm so impressed with all the great work you are doing with young folks and writing/art. bravo! i hope you might also share the results through this website!

I really appreciate how although you've retired from teaching, you've found a way to continue it through the BMCYF. I applaud your dedication to encouraging young folks to discover themselves and the world around them through creative self-expression. Let us know how it goes!